Saturday 29 August 2015

Redstart double

I arrived in the car park field around 08:30, hearing a Redstart as soon as I got there, I quickly picked up a male and assumed it was the same bird of the last 2 days. But the calling was coming from behind me and when a bird came from that direction I got my bins on it realised it was another male Redstart.

It took another hour to see it again whilst watching the other male in view at the same time, both stonking adult males and this appears to be the first time, as we normally get more immatures/1st winters.

Brian had 2 Spotted Flycatchers in the compound, but they had vanished when I got there. We did have 2 House Sparrow in the car park field.

Overlooking the landfill, there were a few passerines moving about, at least 2 Willow Warbler, 1 Whitethroat, 1 Reed Warbler. Another Willow Warbler was seen in the car park field later, along with quite a few Blackcap.

It was ideal raptor viewing by the time I had to go! I wonder if anything went over today.

Later I was doing some gardening and about to add to my large open compost heap, when I small bird jumped up onto the Blackberry, it was a male Whitethroat a great garden tick and the second unexpected warbler this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment