Saturday 1 August 2015

August a month of many stories

A two hour visit today got Nuthatch, Ring-necked Parakeet on to the month list straight away, 2 Common and 1 Green Sandpiper at LFGP was typical.

A discussion I had with Brian led me to highlight the array of Wood Warbler reports, which few long term DP listers have been able to connect with;

1/1st Aug 1982 - Reported via ROC newsletter (OU)
1/12th Aug & 13th 1983 - North Sandford )Lavell's) On Sandford Mill land for 3 mins 7.20am (FJC & DF), again 13th (Mike Collins & Kevin Templeman)
1/17th May 1984 - Singing (RJC), then 1/13th  July (MC & KT)
1/21st April 1992 - Singing just off park along Colemansmoor Road (PA et al), then another 23rd (MJ Hallam) and then 1/3rd May Sandford (Patrick Crowley)
1/22nd April 1998 - Middle Marsh (Patrick Crowley)
1/25th April 2003 - Lavell's (K Creed) and 1/9th Aug (John Tilbrook)

I guess my opinion doesn't matter, but as it's my blog I get the freedom to say what I like and I doubt a number of these records. I will look into the first report when I have time to read my old Berks reports.

I have doubts about the July 1984 record and don't know much about Patrick's records, so I'll ask him, but I don't believe Kevin's 2003 bird either.

Overall it's a messy affair.

Over the coming days I'll post more about August delights from years gone by, not all of them were delights for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment