Wednesday 22 April 2015

Bits n pieces

Whilst early bright sunny mornings have been pleasant, the cold becomes annoying, undaunted I trod my usual path to BSL, scanning for Little Gulls in particular, but anything of interest, no sign, just 4 Common Tern.

I looped the car park field, nothing, Bittern hide, just quiet Reed & Sedge, same with Garden Warbler, an LRP on the bund showing aggression to crows and magpie was promising.


Little else going on, I looped back around to BSL once more, hearing then seeing a Common Sandpiper, then picking up my first Swift over the islands, which was joined by a House Martin just before I left.

Later this afternoon, I made it back to BSL, with cloud pushing in I felt something might be moving, lots of Buzzard and Kite up, now 3 Swift, 2 House Martin, 2's of Swallow going thru, then Brian texted to say Hobby over Lavell's 5 mins ago. Frustrated I called ans he said it was heading towards the car park. I checked several times from my position on the sailing club beach and got onto it for a few seconds drifting NNE, Hobby was my 108th species for 2015. The year is lagging behind last year, which funnily enough I thought 2014 had a quiet first 3 months, it doesn't look it now.

Just Lesser Whitethroat to go of the expected migrants, but we always hope for Arctic & Black Terns and over the next 2-3 weeks hopefully a good wader - Whimbrel now in fact!

No comments:

Post a Comment