Thursday 14 February 2013

Hard work, but worth it

When I said Jack Snipe returns, I should have said "for 2 people" because it didn't show all day today either, neither did Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, or Med Gull, but it seems far fewer Black Headed Gulls visited LFGP for whatever reason, so was maybe somewhere else local?
Still it was mostly a nice bright day, the Teal looked great, a lone snipe on Tern scrape sat in view, the Cetti's was calling intermittently, but pretty close by.
Dusk at LFGP, 200+ Lapwing roosted, a lone Fieldfare at Lavell's appeared lost, but my target species kept me hanging on, then at 17:52 2 Woodcock shot out from the trees somewhere opposite at the river junction, headed over to the right into LFGP airspace and were gone, all in less than 2 seconds but nonetheless, wonderfully year tickable views.
I maintain this is about the hardest to get annual visitor, perhaps along with Little Owl, but at least the latter can show up any time, Woodcock is only winter. That said it is my 9th consecutive year of connecting, only dipping in 2004, the new era of Woodcock records occurring at Lavell's at dusk beginning in 2003.
Oh yes, did I say 84 out of 86.


No comments:

Post a Comment