Monday 18 April 2016

Dawn chorus chill

I arrived at 04:35 after scraping the ice off my car, I could hear Cetti's calling and a few distant Song Thrush, but when asked what I was promising, I said nothing given how cold it was, knowing Nightingales don't like it cold.

The Barn Owl didn't show, the Cuckoo didn't either (as usual) and no waders were on LFGP, AND no the Nightingales didn't sing.

At least the Whitethroat was showy and it was very sunny and at the end, when I did a car park field circuit with Bob, we had the usual Mistle Thrush, plus 2 more on the landfill, then finally a Cuckoo called, getting my 112th species for the year.

Blimey, the park year list is 10 more than me, at 122 as of today, Brian getting Swift over the landfill mid morning. I am not sure I've been that far off for many years. Granted Reed Warbler, Swift, LRP, Tawny Owl and even Redstart should be added, but it feels unnerving to be so far behind.

The tricky ones are Goosander, Jack Snipe, Curlew, Arctic Tern & Wheatear, the latter being the easiest to hope for, in autumn in particular.

Surely a Linnet has flown over by now!?

No comments:

Post a Comment