Wednesday 3 May 2017

Arctic v's Common again

Over the last 3-4 days I have seen 2-3 individual terns that were going away from me and looked more delicate, with streamers that looked longer. Always the views were too brief and add to that the annual familiarisation all over again and doubt is prevalent.

This morning the wind was back from the North and cold, Lea Farm was quiet, 1 LRP, 1 Lapwing, 1 Oyc, 1 Snipe skulking and trying to steer clear of the Jackdaws patrolling the East shoreline.

Less Common Tern today and I witnessed one Black-headed Gull pummel a Common Tern, it had it by the throat and when they moved to on to the water I thought it might drown it for one moment., but luckily it got away. One Common in front of the hide had a BTO type ring, upside down and I only managed 3 characters 'T06' which I suspect won't give much away about it's origins.

One Grey Wagtail, but no sign of the juvenile.

At BSL it was pretty quiet, a Common Sandpiper flicked by, a Little Egret went over toward Lavell's, I scanned with my scope then realised a tern was on the left hand yellow buoy. It looked good for Arctic Tern so snapped a few pics, but my adapter is now damaged and requires my holding it together, which makes it nearly impossible to keep steady and click. This is the best I got before it left 07:06:




I draw a lot of similarity with the 2004 photo of one
http://www.berksbirds.co.uk/show_photo.asp?species_id=5&speciestype=1&datetype=2&photo_id=834

No comments:

Post a Comment