Thursday 8 September 2016

Stint joy - 31 years of waiting over

Back out at 06:20 and LFGP was fairly quiet, just 2 Green and 2 Common Sandpiper, the same LRP also present. 23 Teal, 2 Shoveler and a Wigeon calling in the NE corner and a Little Egret.

At BSL a Green Sandpiper flew off from just right of the pontoon, a Grey Wagtail went over, 38 Shoveler on the East side of the lake, then down the car park field I looked back towards BSL and saw 3 Wigeon and 12 Teal heading North, no doubt come off the East side.

Nothing in the car park field, where it seems it has to warm up before Redstarts show, so a short debate with myself on if I could be bothered to go to Bittern hide and I decided that maybe a Spotted Flycatcher might be near the benches.

No flycatchers and I went on to Bittern Hide, seeing the Kingfisher on the nearby perch I got my iPhone adapter out, I clicked 2 shots and noticed a small wader flick out from behind the bund under the Kingfisher. I lifted my bins and thought "yesterday's Dunlin", panned down with the scope and instantly realised it was a Little Stint, I clicked 4 shots before 2 Green Sandpiper flew over it, which caused it to fly and all 3 birds left to the right.

Here are my 3 of my 4 shots




And the cropped versions




Now 2016 is turning into a special year, two 31 year long awaited patch lifers in 9 days.

With the day coming to an end I've been thinking of the timing of it all....just one decision, I nearly didn't go to Bittern hide at all. And then had I not lingered looking for Spotted Flycatcher, I'd have arrived 2 minutes before and left seconds before it flew out from behind the bund.

It all blows my mind and again find myself contemplating numerous birds in the past, the decisions to look in a certain place, or direction that suddenly looked in that gave rise to my seeing the bird.

Because it is such a long time in coming it somehow feels more poignant and when such events place you on the cusp of a landmark, I guess it should, as this places me on 199 for my park list and I can't believe I am here....but love being here.

I wish it had stayed for at least an hour, or two to allow my good friends to enjoy it too, the recent chance to catch up with so many of you at the Nightjar, made it truly special.

No comments:

Post a Comment