Friday 16 September 2016

16th September - part 3

Back for my third trip of the day when a Sandwich Tern was claimed at BSL, on arrival I could see the legs were red, so no chance of Sandwich. It looked pretty like an Arctic coming into winter plumage, but now I've read up I am now leaning towards Common.

Here are my shots





Despite the bird flying off with a very elastic wing motion, the pictures show a long, but slender bill, upper wing grey with significant white along the shafts and dark tip extending well in, with secondaries quite dark, just visible in the open wing shot is the dark forewing.

I'm going to get other opinions on this bird.

Post script:
Now two friends have placed their belief in Common as the ID, I have also found a good article on the link below, I'll be reading it more fully at leisure over the next day or so, but wanted to share it for all those interested.
https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/article_files/V94/V94_N06/V94_N06_P268_277_A002.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment