Wednesday 2 January 2013

Bittern reliable as ever

We have had annual wintering Bittern without fail since 27th Jan 2002 and this has involved over 33 birds, of which I have seen at least 31 of. So today's bird was kind of expected, guaranteed, so to speak and as the two other good friends of mine said "how come nobody else is here?" my only answer is "I guess it's too easy to get Bittern at DP now, so people leave it until the weekends?". Who knows.
This Bittern is a contrast of much extensive dark centres to feathers of body plumage, but paler brown overall, no rufus tones and may even be a returning bird?
I joined Brian for a Barn Owl wait, but got bored just after the Snipe called as it departed Tern scrape Brian scored about 20 minutes after I left.
My main off site news was at 17:10 as I got out of my car after pulling in my drive, I heard a large flock of geese passing over, even seeing 100+ silhouetted birds moving SW/SSW at no more than 250/300 feet, by the noises they were making, I would say they were Pink-footed Geese, probably 200+, which if proven right with any flock turning up anywhere between here and Hampshire, will be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment