Saturday 20 October 2012

Foggy start

Having arranged for the FOLL bird food to be delivered at DP ctr, I was waiting in the main car park when I a Mistle Thrush flew around and landedin the trees next to the car park. Then I heard Coal Tit in High Chimneys gardens, perhaps I should go there more often, having also had my largest flock of Yellow Wagtails over here back in September?
Later after the fog cleared I did the car park field and soon picked up Skylarks coming over West every 10 minutes or so, 12 seen in 30-45 mins and hearing 3-4 more. A few pipits were going over in singles and 1, or 2 looked a bit bulkier than Meadow, but no definitive calls were given. A brief look over the landfill, 2 Redwing, a few Chaffinch, Siskin, 1 Lesser Redpoll and then a Chiffchaff called behind me, showing briefly.
On to LFGP, somewhat flooded of course, usual wildfowl many hidden in vegetation, 2 Snipe circled and dropped in, more Skylark, 1-2 more pipits and it suddenly occured to me I had been watching a good number of Starling flocks of 30-70 birds going West, an estimated 400, but could have been double that as I had been concentrating on checking for thrushes instead. Quite a few BH Gulls warranted a quick check before departing. I said to Alan I am sure we are missing Rock Pipits going over....who knows really!

No comments:

Post a Comment