Tuesday 6 February 2018

Time pressures

So little time in comparison to many previous years, but somehow I'm still not far off par for the park.

A lucky, if not infeasible Green Sandpiper at the balancing pool back on the 27th Jan was good, I barely saw a blink of a bird, but something told me a bird with a steep dive had dropped there and sure enough it was there, I barely had time to get Brian and John back with me, before it was off high SE.

As for last Sunday night, it was outstanding. The cast were a Peregrine on fire thru towards the scrape as we crossed the foot bridge from the car park, shortly after we were watching it perched in the Poplar.

Water Rail calling, Snipe showing, then out of the blue the first Bittern on Lavell's in about a year came in high from Sandford, circling twice before landing in a 'classic' high up front of reeds position, but the show was not over yet.

As we left the hide, there was the Barn Owl sat in the doorway for several moments, but the finale was a fine Woodcock coming in fast over our left side as we looked South toward Sandford, it was in view for nearly 3 whole seconds....wow.

This morning I was out hoping to find the Oystercatcher on the beach at BSL, no luck, same for Little Owl, so no show for this all year so far. I met Richard Sajdak and said I'd catch up at Bittern hide, when I did I dropped the viewing flap, scaring many birds off, but thankfully not the Brent Goose that was on the bund, a fantastic bonus bird.

I do use Twitter a bit now, so feel free to catch up with my Tweets there, often ahead of my blogging which time pressures are reducing. http://twitter.com@DPTopLister

The Jack Snipe is still out there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment