Sunday 1 January 2017

A little bit gobsmacked

Out at 07:21 I lingered near Teal hide for a listen ofr Tawny, no luck so quickly trudged to just beyond Ron's hide, clocking the Shelduck close on the right. In no time a Barn Owl came down the path upstream, saw me crossed and swooped past on South, probably heading for Lavell's.


Still gloomy, the Snipe were visible, lots, around 39, at least 1 Jack with them. The first of 3 Little Egret came by, Water Rail diving for cover.

Nothing exciting happening, I headed for Sandford and Heron's Water and arriving on the East side, by a rubbish strewn bench, I checked the opposite water edge. I moved over the small rise and suddenly the Ferruginous Duck was there on my left, moving quickly right.

I checked everything at WSL, BSL and looped back to the sailing club and car park field, Ring-necked Parakeet calling, Kestrel perched, Great Black-backed Gull over, Lesser too, Siskin heard over.

Bittern hide had been smashed up pretty bad overnight, so DP staff were leaving as I arrived, not much to see as few fence panels left to hide you on approach. Cetti's heard, missed Chiffchaff.

I went home, but had to quickly return for the first Caspian Gull in 12 years, an adult found by Marek, stunning find.




I went home again, but had to come back yet again for the first Brent Goose in 30 years! There are other 'claims' of individuals during the 90's, but impossible to verify them.



It was an active little juvenile, flew around low several times, landed in the NE landfill and we took our eyes off it and it was missing. The Caspian showed up again too, followed by 5 Raven together, another great find Marek.





When I overcome my iPhone & Window's 10 USB issue I may be able to share my record shots, which would be nice, as I am not sure Brent Goose has ever been photographed at DP.

So finally I give in and head for WSL and as Marek joined me, I found 1 then the 2nd Bittern.

My day was awesome, 69 my highest ever 1st January.

The park list is 72, not including Little or Tawny Owl, but they are resident all year, so in my opinion should be counted.

As far as I am aware the species not seen by me today were Kingfisher, Chiffchaff & House Sparrow

I am certain that Pied Wagtail, Fieldfare, Coal Tit and Sparrowhawk were present, probably Mistle Thrush and Grey Wagtail too, maybe even a lone Meadow Pipit is out on the landfill.

Targets now :

Greylag - Current status unknown
Goldeneye - None today, winter so far very random Sandford most likely lake
Golden Plover - Pick a nice clear morning, or dusk and set up at the car park field looking towards Bowsey Hill
Goosander - Often fly over only, but can occur anywhere BSL, WSL, Sandford, Loddon, LFGP
Pintail - LFGP to Sandford
Smew - Most likely is Sandford, or Loddon
Red-crested Pochard - LFGP to WSL/BSL
Peregrine - 75% of records are over LFGP & Lavell's
Dunlin - Needs to be icy and can occur anywhere
Ruff - Landfill to Lavell's
Woodcock - Loddon and Teal Scrape
Med - Check all BH's
Green Sandpiper - random stops most likely LFGP
Skylark - If it is very sunny
Lesser Redpoll - Check on the golf course Silver Birch

No comments:

Post a Comment