Wednesday 16 March 2016

Stonechat get back

I went down to the end of Sandford Lane and checked the puddles once more for pipits, or wagtails, but again no joy, I heard 2 Coal Tit calling from beyond the house next to the Jolly Farmer pub and thought I bet I could hear them from the golf course so headed off there to try.

After about a 5-6 minute wait, I gave up and the presence of 3-4 dog walkers without dogs on leads...of course, made my decision to head for the car park field. As I got to the newly cleared exit/entrance, I happened to look back and caught a glimpse of something small moving near the small ditch, I thought it might just be a leaf blowing across, but on lifting my bins was a little surprised and a lot delighted to see a female Stonechat, a great get back on the one seen by Renton in January beyond Ron's hide.









Inevitably, a dog walker arrived within moments and the bird moved to one of the bridges as captured in my last shot and then darted into the garden to my left and neither I, nor Brian and Alan could re-find it.

Historically March has been an okay month for Stonechat;

2016 - 16th
2015 - 18th
2005 - 16th
2004 - 26th
1996 - 10th
1988 - 24th to 27th
1984 - 1st, 22nd & 24th
1981 - 15th

No comments:

Post a Comment