Monday 28 March 2016

Flooding

I didn't arrive early and when I did Sandford Lane was half under water, so couldn't go to the car park field. Instead I went up the West side of Sandford, 2 Oyc, a few Gadwall and Wigeon, on to BSL and scoping I picked up 3-4 Sand Martin staying very low to the far South bay, plus my first Swallow with them, so I'll keep updating the list running up to 31st, but am hoping to get out early for the next 3 mornings and hope it is calmer and not too flooded to add anything.

2016
93 - Coal Tit 18th
93 - Redshank 18th
94 - Yellow-legged Gull 18th
95 - Meadow Pipit 22nd
96 - Merlin 25th
97 - Sand Martin 26th
98 - Swallow 28th

I worked hard to pick up Blackcap, but no sign, I did have a pipit go over North, before heading to Lea Farm. Not much to report there, 9 large gulls gave me something to look thru, 6+ Skylark on the landfill was a high count for this year, but searching every vent 3-4 times once again yielded no Wheatear, or other migrants.

No waders around the lake edge, just 6 Teal and 12 Wigeon, I did get the Mandarin yet again at the green bridge, so they are obviously contemplating a nest site somewhere near there.

So I am on 98 and the park is on 102, the latter is = 2nd highest year total by 31st March for 2011 and March hit a new highest of 96, after I discovered 10 Goosander flew over LFGP on the 23rd (GSE).

I am looking in the claims of Jack Snipe 23rd and Willow Warbler 27th, if both are confirmed, then the park would be on 104, just 2 off the highest year total by 31st March AND a new March high species count of 98, but either way we are on a new record.

No comments:

Post a Comment