Friday 1 January 2016

Very cold 1st morning

Okay minus 1 isn't that cold, but compared to the rest of the winter so far, when I arrived at 07:20 I was frozen. Multiple loops around Lavell's and car park field, then Sandford, BSL and off to WSL I picked up all the expected, or hoped for stayers. Red Crested Pochard and Ferruginous being most notable.

But I was also pleased with Mistle Thrush at the WSL/BSL hedgerow, the 2 male Goldeneye at BSL's South bay...my first this winter, then 3 Ring-necked Parakeet over Lavell's mid morning, plus 2-3 Great Black-backed Gulls over.

I scored 63, only missing Fieldfare and Siskin reported by others by the time I left at 10:45. Whilst typing a WhatsApp message has come in a pair of Pintail at LFGP is a more annoying miss, hope they stay til tomorrow.

Missing off the list, but on site somewhere are, Little Grebe, Little Egret, Bittern, Kestrel, Treecreeper, Rook & Nuthatch.

Coal Tit, Grey Wagtail and Lesser Redpoll are all tricky and not recorded in December as far as I am aware. I'll do a more comprehensive list soon, but we can expect 11 more for sure, plus another 9 which have a good chance of occurring in January, if we got all of them and added just 3-4 of the many other possibles, we'd break the 2008 record of 88.

Now is the time to look for Goosander, the first few days in January often have fly overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment