Saturday 2 January 2016

7 behind

It doesn't mean much at this very early stage, but not being available last night for dusk specialities, cost me a Barn Owl and a lucky Bittern for Brian and Marek.

Today I laid in until 09:00 and given the weather wasn't too good, I probably shouldn't have as it soon declined into constant rain. My first stop was LFGP for Pintail, my predictions were right and there was no sign. At least I got Rook.

I met Marek near the green bridge and learned of yesterdays reports of Little Egret, I then bumped into Brian and he had Kestrel and Mistle Thrush on the golf course, plus the Siskin flock along the golf course strip. So I headed there, only to bump into my old friend Paul Cropper, heading to Bittern hide, so joined him instead.

Not much showing but when the RSPB group arrived someone announced Nuthatch on the feeders, I quickly scampered over to view it as it returned to the feeder. Then I clocked a single Fieldfare flying right, before Marek sent a WhatsApp message "Coal Tit and Chiffchaff by the green bridge".

I headed there with Paul, Sue and Jane, quickly picking up the Chiffchaff in the willow, calling softly, but no sign of the Coal Tit. Some new feeders have been put up in one of the gardens near to the mill, so that might bring other opportunities?

It was time to go, but just before I got to the lay-by a Siskin called overhead, adding 5 for the morning, so now I was on 68 of the 75 seen so far.

My return to Bittern hide this evening produced nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment