Thursday 4 June 2015

Weather warming, garden mind blowing

My first early morning visit to LFGP on Monday was quiet, but at least got me Grey Wagtail for June.

A visit to the car park yesterday, but not much to report, 4 male Gadwall and a pair on the scrape, Mute Swan with a healthy 6 cygnets, the Nightingale sang briefly at Sandford, the Oystercatcher looks to be sat on the old tern island there.

A trickle of Swallows appeared to be moving thru, which seems late for passage.

A distant small raptor buzzing a Red Kite over BSL, was probably just a Kestrel, but I'll be keeping my eye out and hoping to get lucky with a Red Footed Falcon over the next month or so.

Not long after this post I went and had a coffee in the garden and was doing a tiny bit of weeding, when I heard a brief burst of Reed Warbler song. Then it started properly and showed for a few seconds and continued singing until the neighbour's gardener started strimming and mowing.

I could hear it still at 10:45, but either in a nearby garden, or in very quiet sub-song.

This is an amazing garden tick for me, unprecedented to say the least. It is my 52nd species for this garden having got my first House Martin about 2 hours before, but I still haven't had Song Thrush yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment