Wednesday 11 March 2015

Bright and cold

I did an hour around the car park field, Little Owl barely visible from the hole in the Oak, Buzzards were up high, 2 & 3 at a time, at least 8 in total, 2 Sparrowhawk, Ring-necked Parakeet called very nearby.

It felt like I could get lucky with a really early Sand Martin, but none appeared. I looked up earliest arrival for them and standing out like a sore thumb is 3rd March 1997. As with many 90's records, I have an issue with this, firstly as there are no initials, secondly it does not appear in the county report, the first birds recorded were 7th in Brimpton. Thirdly, it is just too early by at least a week.

I know how harsh that sounds, given we had a House Martin 10th March 2013, but that means nothing, the average arrival is between 15th and 18th, but 20th for the last 2 years.

With nothing better to do, I'll leave it at that and hope a Redshank reveals itself to me in the next day or three.

No comments:

Post a Comment