Sunday 10 November 2013

Myth turns to reality

After a late start and me catching up with the group, we were all having a quiet bird walk, then we left Lea Farm G.P. and we were heading up the tarmac path to Bittern Hide, when we noticed a group of 7 large swans, they had already passed over and we could only see them from underneath, but something about them made me dash to where we view the Barn Owl from to get another look.

Tony was still on them as I picked them up in the scope over the East side of landfill, still going North, luckily almost as I said "if only they'd turn", they did turn left and I could see yellow bills..."They are Whoopers" I shouted, then they turned back the East and headed away out of view, looking like they wanted to set down somewhere. I texted my two friends based in the East and one called me to say he had just got home, but he might pop out to Remenham later.

There are just 2 other records 20th March 1982 and I am getting details of the other record in the nineties.

Tony has a record shot, which he has posted on Berksbirds : http://www.berksbirds.co.uk/show_photo.asp?photo_id=7478

I am thrilled to get a 'Mythical species' onto my patch list, my 195th and 133rd for the year....awesome!

Marek texted later to say Birdguides reported 7 Whooper on Staines Reservoir somewhat later, staying until dusk, so even though I only had a less than 1% doubt about disimissing Bewick's, it was nice to have the species confirmed elsewhere.

Still smiling now ;0)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Fraser, Surrey Birds website confirms 7 Whooper Swans landing at the east basin of Staines Res. late yesterday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete