Tuesday 3 September 2013

Expectant

I got to the car park field 09:15 and saw the same male Redstart now on it's 6th day, but apart from a handful of about 8 House Martins drifting along above the Loddon, very little else was going on.

Late afternoon I arrived for a quick feeding geese visit with my son, as we walked back at 16:55, 2 Raven rose and tumbled not far beyond the car park, but were out view in moments.

Tonight I thought I'd give Barn Owl a try, but before that walked to the bottom of the car park field and viewed out over to the left of Lea Farm. Immediately with my naked eye, I could see a dumpy round bird sat on the top of the tensioning wire to the left of the pylon nearest left to the green barn. As I lifted my bins it flew right and I got brief flight views of a pale Little Owl, before it went behind the barn.

So I went on to Bittern Hide, checked the reeds for Bittern....none, checked the exposed mud off to the far left, for waders, egrets, ducks and even rails, or crakes....again none, but those muddy edges and shallows look like it could attract a crake, so I'll try to do more evenings just in case.

A slow walk back to the car and realised I could hear very quiet hissing coming from either the box, or Oak behind, so we have Barn Owls, possibly young calling?

All in all a pretty good day! And that was without any migration going on.

Yep I'm gready, I want to hope it is our year for a Pectoral Sandpiper, we're overdue!

No comments:

Post a Comment