Saturday 19 April 2014

Mediterranean feel to the cold

Out later today at around 08:00 and having done a circuit of the car park field, had Mistle Thrush, Garden Warbler, 2 House Martin over BSL picnic area, I was thinking things weren't looking to hopeful for year ticks.

But then I stopped on the tarmac path to chat to visiting Devon birder Clive and after a few minutes and several Swallow and at least 3 Common Tern over, I then heard a gull call, which made me raise my bins to find 2 adult summer Mediterranean Gulls going over West. They were not particularly high up, but just kept on going West....my first pair of Meds at the patch. Clive went on to say he was fairly sure he had Yellow Wagtail over calling somewhat earlier.

Just moments later I picked up a pair of Mandarin flying North over the West end of Lavell's.

It was time to leave all too soon, but I was back at lunchtime doing another skywatch, which again was very slow, bar a few groups of Swallow over, when at 15:08 I picked up the years first Hobby circling and then drifting off North. Who doesn't love Hobby!?

The last expected migrants for me are Cuckoo, Common Sandpiper and Sedge Warbler and then I hope we have a good passage spell over the next 3, or so weeks before my trip to the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment