Thursday 13 February 2014

A bright hour

Another chance to get down Sandford Lane, afforded a look over the landfill for an hour, Skylark fluttering up, Siskin over, 6 Buzzard up, no doubt taking advantage of the bright morning, 50+ Lapwing spooked by Red Kites, Ring-necked Parakeet calling off to the East, 2 Green Woodpecker calling, then I got onto another distant smaller raptor, which at first looked like Kestrel, but as it circled it looked too compact, for a few moments and I followed it in the scope, moving North just in front of Lodge Wood, it then seemed to come towards me, but then away and behind Lodge Wood.

Even though it did circle and the tail did seem a little too long at times, it never gave enough away to be 100% certain it wasn't a Merlin, a brief hover pushed me back to Kestrel, but the way it flickered it wings a few times, it's slim look and short wings, kept nagging at me and with the wings swept back, left me feeling the tail only looked longer, rather than was so.

After losing it behind Lodge Wood I kept scanning hoping it would appear again, but it never reappeared.

As I waited a female Sparrowhawk went over the same area.

Walking back to the car, I thought "that was the longest I have been out on the park in weeks."

No comments:

Post a Comment