Friday 10 May 2013

Where are the waders and sea birds

The strong winds have blown in various seabirds into SW England, but none at DP, or LFGP this morning, I was there 07:30, as I left home 3 Oystercatcher flew over my house WNW I suppose roughly towards Sonning/East Reading, twice for this species in one week and 3 birds is unprecedented.

At BSL, 300-400+ mixed hirundines was nice to see, at LFGP 2 Lapwing, 1 Oystercatcher, 1 Common Sandpiper, 3 Gadwall and the same Little Egret here for the last week, appeared 08:10.

I checked and rechecked the large gulls and decided the right hand bird, whilst having a large dark bill, was a Herring 1st summer, not visible in this shot, but it had obvious scalloped tertials too :














Lesser Black-backed 1st summer :



















A work party tomorrow is not what the 4 county bird race teams will want, if they need the egret and sandpiper, but we don't start til 10:00 and will be gone by 13:00 ideally.

On my walk back I took our resident ringers advice and went to admire the Loddon Lilly in all their splendor




No comments:

Post a Comment