Tuesday 7 May 2013

We all make mistakes

For about 20-30 minutes I was convinced I'd found a Spotted Redshank, 99% at least, even if I was looking into the sun at a distant bird. Perhaps there were other subconscious factors, I don't know, but just around 09:40 the bird flew closer and revealed tell tale wing bars. Now seeing the plumage in more detail, we could see that despite the bill being notably longer than normal Redshank, it still wasn't long and slender enough for Spotted and perhaps the legs were long too, but it was just a Redshank, hopefully the pictures capture some of that illusion;

















When people started arriving, I said a few apologies and limped home to download these shots, but before I could do that Roger called to say he had a real Greenshank on Tern scrape, so I came back down for this lovely summer individual.






1 comment:

  1. Tough bird to ID in that light, it does look long billed but as you say, not slender enough. Best to get the news out early and make occasional mistakes! Robin

    ReplyDelete