Thursday 30 August 2012

Wryneck at very long last

A momentous and unexpected birding day for me, arriving Lavell's at around 10:30 I brought loppers and a bow saw down and at the very bottom of the car park field I removed a few overhanging branches - enabling much better viewing over Lea Farm G.P., Lodge Wood and the landfill. This task completed in a few moments I headed back up the East side of the field scope in one hand, tools in other, then about half way back I noticed a small pale brown bird fly up from the grass 10-15m from the nearest corner post and all I could see with naked eyes was like it was dragging a longish tail, I didn't really know but something about how it flew got my radar up.
I had already texted Trev about the 2 Swift I had going SE at 10:46 and would join him to look for Mandarin for his yearlist, but immediately called to tell him I might have something, when a bird fluttered out shot left 40ft but landed in view, grappling with mobile I couldn't hold my bins steady and was saying as I swapped to scope "I have probably screwed up on a Greenfinch, but I was hoping for a Wryneck......" in that next second, I got the scope focused, saw nothing, panned right, adjusted focus again...... and there it was, head held up high, so just as I was finishing saying "Wryneck" to Trev, other words suddenly came out ending in "it is a ****** Wryneck"
Needless to say Trevor joined me in moments and got flight views around 11:05, Richard arrived shortly and I believe it flew to the NW corner, yet Trev got on it in flight 12:10 in the middle vegetation and it went to the middle back dead thorns, where it perched for 20-25 seconds, enough for Richard to see it through my scope.
I know many came and saw it, great to see so many friends at my 191st patch tick, 130th for 2012 and my 175th self found here.

To have missed both 1986 and 1997 birds was terrible, but to find your own Wryneck, on your own patch, how good does it get...... Even better when you get a really terrible record shot to laugh at. I also got real satisfaction changing the 23 to a 22 off my unblock list at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment