Monday 7 May 2012

I blew it on the cranes

A frantic few minutes at Lavell's followed the call from Roger Stansfield that the 3 Cranes were heading NE from BHL pits, so heading my way. I arrived in the car park 14:15 and went to the sailing club and began scanning SW, then Andy Horscroft called me to say they were at Sutton Seeds roundabout and the birds were East of them, just south of the A4, so already past and West of DP, more like NW of LFGP.
I ran to back to Lavell's car park, all to aware I was already late to meet my obligations to go with my wife and son to meet out antenatal clase at 14:30 in Shinfield.
I scanned from the edge of the car park, or the slightly raised bank, but could pick nothing up, phoning Andy H one more time, he said they had moved off North, maybe even beyond Henley. It was 14:34 and I had blown it and had to leave.
At the pub Chris Heard called to ask me how I'd done and to tell me he had seen them lingering West of Ashley Hill and then they continued NE to the North of it around 14:45.
So it transpires if I had run to the bottom of the car park field, I could have scoped that airspace and added Crane to my patch list. My wife even said all I had to do was call and say I'd be later and she would have been fine with it. So not very clever on my part, was gutted for the rest of the day and could not face recounting the events until now.
Fingers crossed a Red Rumped Swallow shows up, not that I could find one in an hour look at 18:00 on 6th

No comments:

Post a Comment