Thursday 1 October 2020

It's getting tough

 I can't complain, I've not missed anything tragic, but if one was to look at each species as an equal 1 point, then missing the only Black-tailed Godwit of the year (so far) on July 10th wasn't useful.

We've had 3 Black-tailed Godwit reports after September and I can only authenticate two;

3rd Dec 1988 : Tern scrape (S Mills)

16th Sept to 21st Oct 2001 : Lea Farm fields & Tern scrape (Many Observers - MO)

9th to 12th Nov 2002 : Tern scrape, only moving off due to flooding

16th Oct 2011 : "30-40 birds overhead and on shingle island" (PH) but nobody ever came forward to identify who PH was, so the record cannot be validated

So it's not all over there yet.

Spotted Flycatcher : My first miss since 2009, which stings a bit

Wood Warbler : Okay I lied, we all missed one good bird, but as it was only seen by a non local whom I had doubts about when he told me, I didn't know about it until the day after and never even checked.

It's still not too late for Osprey and Marsh Harrier, but the bulk of records are before now, so I'm not confident getting either.

Garganey : We seem to skip a year in 3 to 5 year skips, loads of time for one yet, in the last 20 years we've had 5 October birds and 2 Novembers.

Red Crested Pochard : Doubtful, 2 December records in 10 years, but stay hopeful right!?

Scaup : Wild card, easily possible

Wild Geese : Brent is possible of course

Wild swans : Both occurred 2013 and 2014, why not again?

Ruff : 2 October records, I'm pulling a face, but our chances have to be better with the new marsh

Sandwich Tern : I've had one late record!

Jack Snipe I'll be stunned if we don't get one, but with the East shore massively changed, it might take a bit of luck..we'll see what unfolds

Lesser Redpoll : I'm trying to get a passage bird each day this week

Linnet : October is the best month for passage birds

Firecrest : A keen eye and some luck

Brambling : From mid this month onwards passage again might produce

And let's not dismiss any bonus birds, I remain up for Spoonbill, Green-winged Teal, American Wigeon, Shag, Great Northern Diver and our first ever Ring-necked Duck...that would be quite an end to a good year...birding wise!

No comments:

Post a Comment