Sunday 14 April 2019

Cool start, hot finish

I woke early yesterday and was parking in the lay-by at 05:36, by 05:36 and 5 seconds I could hear the first Cuckoo, sounding like it was in the 'usual spot' - behind Teal scrape. It was freezing, only minus 2-3, but felt very cold.

I went straight on through to Lea Farm Lake and it carried on calling, but went by left at 05:59.

The Sedge Warbler was calling, the 30 or so Sand Martin whirling, a Redwing called, but to be frank it was dead quiet. About 12 Teal still lingering, 3-4 Shoveler.



I went home 08:00 due to family commitments. by 13:20 Geoff was calling to say a couple had just walked into Ron's hide and asked "how long has the Avocet been on the bund at Tern scrape?"

At Bittern hide by 13:28 and there was the Avocet, half obscured by the bund, I quickly put the news out as still present, quite quickly it moved and headed nearer the hide, then over the bund into the scrape.








I can't believe the last record was 2008!

No comments:

Post a Comment