Wednesday 27 June 2018

A month between year ticks

Another lie in today after yesterday's very early trip down to LFGP....Very nice conditions first thing, 2 LRP chasing each other about, 1 Redshank, 1 Green Sandpiper, a few Lapwing, 1 Little Egret. At Sandford the Gadwall numbers keep rising, 30 now, plus 2 Shoveler, a family of Tufted Duck.

Kingfisher at Lavell's trying out the new posts in the wet meadow.

So, today Brian called with more news from Sandford, "Red Crested Pochard on old Tern island". An hour later I was watching it, a month on from my last year tick and it is not often one gets a new bird in June.

I'm level with 2017 now, and to use another good year, it was 5th August 2012 before I hit 127.

The SW corner looks great and I am hopeful we will pull in a 'new' wader or two over the next month, in order of likeliness, Black-tailed Godwit and Wood Sandpiper, not that either are certain to show up. But if we get the right conditions and luck, maybe a Turnstone, an early Curlew, or Little Stint?

Not forgetting other species to look out for, Yellow-legged Gulls are arriving in the UK pretty much now, Garganey are moving too and I'll never forget finding 5 on 23rd July 2000 at Lavell's. Also Black-necked Grebe start showing up at Staines in July so we could always have one drop en route.

I'll be listening for that all elusive first Linnet going over and a Yellow Wagtail is certain, just I may have to wait until August.

No comments:

Post a Comment