Monday 30 April 2018

In answer to my last question...

Yes, it can get even better.

Much has happened since 9th April, a slow trickle of migrants, all arriving later than the norm for the last 10+ years, kept me waiting for something good on one of my early morning pre work visits.

Then the 28th...the dawn chorus and we were already back into very cold and wet start, sure 3+2 Common Sandpiper was nice, but little else happened to brighten my day.

Luckily new local birder Jo Taylor was vigilant and heard a song he was not expecting over West of Sandford, on further investigation at the weir by Heron's Water, he confirmed the first Wood Warbler since 1992. Just 6 of us in total got to see it before it flew over the river and was never seen again.

Let me reveal the confusing story of Wood Warbler records;

1982 : Aug:1/1st, reported via ROC newsletter (OU)
1983 : Aug:1/12th North Sandford near Loddon for 3 mins 7.20am (FJC & DF), seen again 13th (Mike Collins & Kevin Templeman)
1984 : May:1/17th singing (RC), July:1/13th (MC & KT)
1992 : Apr:1/21st singing just off park (PA et al), then another 23rd (MJ Hallam), May:1/3rd Sandford (Patrick Crowley)
1998: Apr:1/22nd Middle Marsh (Patrick Crowley)

2003 : April:1/25th Lavell's (K Creed), Aug:1/9th (John Tilbrook)

As I often say this is my blog, so I can air my opinions, which are the following;

1982 : Fine
1983 : Fine
1984 : Unsure, but probably fine for both records
1992 : April 21st certainly fine, 23rd fine, no idea about the May bird
1998 : No idea
2003 : April, good date but dubious. August, no idea, supposedly okay.

This morning, I found not 1 but 2 Whimbrel on the East shore of LFGP and unusually they stuck around, rather liking the long grass to feed and hide, even returning after a flush or two from crows.








No comments:

Post a Comment