Sunday 13 November 2016

Jack where we can see him properly

Waiting for the bird walk to start, I was chatting away, when someone said "Egret", I turned as it flew over mid way over the car park right to left and over the Oak. My brain was in chaos as I tried to get scale and reconcile the long legs held out behind it...but it was just a bit too brief.

My instinct says Great White, as it looked a lot bigger, longer wings held out straight not bowed and much longer trailing legs, and it's flight was not the buoyant flaps of the Little's we see daily around the area. So we headed for Bittern hide to find nothing.

The rain yesterday has pushed up the water levels (and still rising), so on further inspection during the bird walk, there was a Jack Snipe on the bund, then climbing up the pile of stacked reeds, placing itself higher than all the other surrounding Common Snipe....something I've never seen before.






102 Shoveler on Lavell's was worthy of a mention.

LFGP did not produce the Great White either, 232 Lapwing, 31 Cormorant, 30 Gadwall, c30 Teal, c40 Wigeon, Nuthatch, Water Rail.

As we got to Sandford all the Athya's arrived, 135 Tufted, 3 Goldeneye (2m), 30 Pochard, so I'll be keeping an eye on them from now on for something exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment