Monday 29 August 2016

Back from laptop crash

3 days ago I spilled a drink into my laptop keyboard, resulting in an instant failure. Luckily the hard disk was saved, but nothing else and today I picked up a refurbished replacement, so it is the first time since Friday that I am able to blog.

27th
A Whitethroat in Elder behind Lavell's, 100+ House Martin rose above Lea Farm GP and off South, a family of 4 Grey Wagtail at BSL was no doubt those seen by Marek the day before. At Lea Farm itself 5-6 Common Sandpiper, 2-3 Green + a Snipe flying over the landfill, were all the waders.

A lone Hobby and 10+ Ring-necked Parakeet was the biggest number I've seen in a long time.

28th
A Whitethroat behind Lavell's in Elder again, 4 Grey Wagtail again and 18 Shoveler rising off BSL was nice.

29th
An early start at Lea Farm GP, but a few minutes after John had seen 2 Hobby, I picked up 1 twice and then we began the wader count, 5 Green and 5 Common, the Green's as usual left in various directions. One Common landed on the the right hand 'T' Bar and provided a good photo opportunity, followed by the Kingfisher. The latter was kind enough to regurgitate something and pose in a half silhouette style before departing.







It felt quiet so I told John it was time to try for the the car park field and at first it seemed quiet there too, but then I got onto 3, then 4 Wheatear, 3 of which were just visible in the shot below, far left vent, front right vent and top back vent.


And just when you think it's all over, I was walking back to the car reminiscing about Wryneck when I noticed a small bird on the wires ahead, thinking it would be a Spotted Flycatcher I got the scope up only to find a pipit, facing away, but clearly pumping it's tail, good sign of Tree Pipit I said to myself.

With battery dying fast I managed 5 shots, 3 were okay enough but am annoyed it didn't last 4 more shots when the bird moved to the fence under bushes to my left as Brian arrived, these views confirmed it as Tree Pipit, it then flew to the Hawthorn on the back edge of the middle compound, then moved to under the trees to the East side of the field, where we lost it.

I'll publish the Tree Pipit data soon, but there aren't many and recent birds have all been brief fly overs, so this is a real rarity.





No comments:

Post a Comment