Saturday 13 February 2016

An early hurried stroll

I woke up around 06:00 and seeing the rain and wind, took my time with a cuppa before heading out around 07:15.

At Sandford it was evident that most of the ducks were missing, just 10 Pochard and a few Gadwall was about it, so after a quick check for Oystercatcher, I contemplated the rain and wind as heavy drops falling from the Willows above my head made me think twice about continuing.

But I went on to BSL and on the bank above Sandford could see a larger group of Pochard with my bins, I decided to move around to a nearby fishing swim and set up scope. Moving right to left I wasn't in the mood for counting Wigeon, or Gadwall, so kept panning left and picked up 1, then a 2nd Shelduck - a pair just left of the tip of the view point. They remain unusual on BSL and it was no surprise they left within 10 minutes at 07:43.

Still panning I counted 91 Pochard +/- 8 as they were diving, checking for any other unusual duck I suddenly saw the Coots on the island edge were getting some grief from an Oystercatcher, but when I moved to the viewing point near the tip of the main island, you couldn't see her, making the first choice stop to view the right choice. Scanning the Pochard flock again found the female Red Crested Pochard with them.

A male Goldeneye flew off from the sailing club end and I moved on quickly to the car park field, then overlooking the landfill I picked up the Shelduck circling 2-3 times, before I felt compelled to move on out of the wind.

A small group of 3-4 Bullfinch kept me pondering a picture opportunity, but not for long and I kept on going without heading to the hides and back to my car, all done by 08:15.

No comments:

Post a Comment