Wednesday 11 November 2015

The tragedy of the 1990's

I am currently doing a time consuming data input of every DP record, ever.

So far, I have done some pre DP days of 1976 thru to 1992 and it is fascinating, so many records I had forgotten about, others that have now dawned on me as interesting. So I will use that and lack of time as my excuse for not being posting lately.

In a way it's kind of ironic that having been working on 1992 it seems the interest level dies by November...which is tragic because even though passage does fall away, winter movements do not, especially if it gets cold.

Anyway, I have said more than once that from 1989 to 1998 the way in which records were kept was shockingly lacking. I don't mean anything personal, but when those in charge of publishing data chose to not record observers names, it took a gun to the head of any chance of bringing authenticity to any interesting records. No record of where, no record of sex, age, no record of anything.

So when faced with the laughable report of 4 Green Winged Teal on 4th January 1992...observer unknown, site unknown, (about 96% of record in that era lack such details), then we have no choice but to bin to this record without any thought whatsoever. And I have no hesitation, to bin such records, as there has never been a record of 4 Green Winged Teal together anywhere in the UK...ever.

Yes this is an exception, but why not the same rule for the 6 Jack Snipe reported 27th Feb 1992? No observer details and by amazing coincidence 6 Common Snipe were reported the day before...hmmm!?

Anyway with little to report recently, I want to go on record one more time to say anyone after my lifetime, or tenure..(whichever is first) who chooses not to record observer, site, or any useful information, should be removed from role as bird recorder, as there is no point in recording if you don't capture the facts.


No comments:

Post a Comment